Monday, November 17, 2008

My medication



Today I started to take my medication again. This medication called Dextroamphetamine and is some pretty powerful stuff. It does help with my depression and motivation but also makes me a little loquacious and aggressive. (I usually don't speak very much)
I've been taking it (off and on) since 1999 when I received my ADD diagnosis in the Navy. I've done my best work while taking the medication but unfortunately I worry that it's not how it is supposed to work.
It doesn't help read people better (Just annoy them a little more when I would normally not talk at all) and it doesn't help with any of my sensitivities. I get more sensitive to lights and people touching me.
Also, my thoughts seem to race a little less only to be contrasted by a lot more "figiting" and if I'm not mistaken the medication is supposed to help with that.
I'm wondering if I would benefit more from an anti-anxiety medication and know that I need to make an appointment to see a professional but I'm hesitating for many reasons, both personal and physical.
for example, I have no car and very little time and money.
My personal reasons would be slightly different since I have never spoken openly or honestly with a mental health professional in fear of it effecting my job.
Only time will tell.
For now I am going to continue to take the medication and try and make an appointment for an evaluation before I run out.

No comments: