Thursday, December 6, 2007

What it's like not having a diagnosis


Well, it's like I know but I don't know. Some days I feel normal (until I get a reality check when I go out in public)

The other day I had to have a conference with my 2 year olds teacher. I had to tell her about my disability (For whatever reason I may have it) because she had mentioned the social curriculum that they have at the day care. I wanted to emphasize the importance of why this curriculum is important for my daughter whom I am positive does not have the same disability as I. I didn't say "Aspergers", I just said that I have a disability that makes it difficult for me to socialize with other people. She just pried further. (But she seemed very nice and had never heard of Aspergers before so I hope she doesn't say anything)

The funny thing is I wouldn't go around telling people even if I had a diagnosis but I felt obligated in this situation.

I also worry that it will get back to my husband who doesn't really want to see it.

Now more about my husband: I showed him a video of the girl from America's Next Top model. (The one with Asperger's) and when I was explaining to him the disability that she is dealing with I mentioned the word autism. This is what he said:

"Well, she is not autistic, she has Aspergers."

So was he accepting my speculation about my myself but still is denial about the autism aspect? Will he only accept it if I don't call it autism?

I don't know. I'm rambling on.

ps: I've decided to do my associates in art as a psychology degree. I'm almost done with my AS.

No comments: